Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Korg Monotron : First Impressions


Well, I had to get one, didn't I?

Possibly the smallest analog synthesizer ever (or so I guess). Nothing much to say, since it's a VERY simple toy-instrument. My first experiments mostly confirm what I thought from watching videos online.

1 : The filter, supposedly designed after the mythical MS-20, is an excellent one indeed, definitely on the mean, bright (but not harsh) side... The ability to process external audio is the Monotron's biggest asset.

2 : The ribbon controller is UNUSABLE, whether you use your fingers or a stylus. My deepest respect to the folks out there who manage to play a melody in tune on the Monotron. They are better people than I am.

3 : It's cheap and a lot of fun, especially if you plug it to a couple of guitar pedals.

No comments: